Saturday, March 10, 2012

Welcome to Bognor Regis

After a few hiccups at the beginning of my trip, I arrived safe and sound to Merry Ole London.  I got picked up by a driver sent by my host family, which felt odd because, frankly, I've never had a person standing at Arrivals holding up a poster with my name on it.  I felt fancy.  :) It took about an hour to get from London to Bognor Regis, and I must say that it was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on.  The houses are all brick or stone, and look like they would fit right in on Privet Drive.  The country side is luscious and green, and usually accompanied by grazing sheep or lazy cows.  The villages we drove through were absolutely adorable, and filled with antique shops, old pubs, and tea houses.  I did see the odd Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut now and then, which was strange, because they stick out like sore thumbs.  I also saw a Starbucks...I can only imagine how badly they would rip me off over here, after paying $5 for a stupid latte back home.

I finally arrived at the house I'll be living in for the next 7 weeks and it was love at first sight.  Beautiful brick, lovely English garden in the back, and the people who own it are simply wonderful.  I had a lovely afternoon making conversation with my hosts, as well as two of their three sons, two of their three daughters-in-law, and four of their six grandchildren.  I formed an especially tight bond with a precocious little girl named Cara.  After all our talking, we went to the beach which is about a 15 minute walk from the house.  It will make an excellent route for jogging in the mornings and a beautiful place to stroll at sunset.  The kids got to wade in the water ( I declined, because my Hunter's were still somewhere at Heathrow).  They splished, they splashed, and had a jolly time.  When it was time to go, the littlest, Theo, kept crying "More sea.  More sea!"  I loved every second of it.



The evening consisted of good food and lots of good wine, which leads me to believe (in addition with what I experienced today) that I will get along with my hosts just fine.  I think the next seven weeks are going to be amazing, and I can't wait to see what's in store.

Now, after 31 hours, it's time for a proper sleep.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment