Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First Day of School

I was quite nervous this morning, as it was the first day at my new school.  I am in a Year 5 classroom (4th graders, basically) which is an age group I'm used to, but I was still nervous about the kids and the people I'd be working with.  Turns out, I had nothing to worry about!  The kids are great (and their English accents make them absolutely adorable) and the staff is wonderful.  It also doesn't hurt that we start an hour later, get a morning tea break, and have an hour for lunch every day.  Sweet!

Aside from all of the perks mentioned above, I am incredibly excited to take what I can from my experience here.  I can tell already there are some new teaching methods and class management strategies that I will be able to take back with me to the States.  I hope those will be assets when it comes time to look for a job when I return!   I'm eager to learn about the English school system and to witness how it works, compare it to what we have, and see how I can use what I've seen to become a better teacher. 

On another note, I've been asked what I want to do this weekend.  That's such a difficult question to answer! I don't think I want to go into London just yet.  There is a castle nearby and an open-air museum as well.  I'd like to do some shopping, as it turns out I should have brought some different things to wear to school (not quite so formal).  I did go to gap.eu and I think I'll order some things from there and have them shipped to the house.  They have some good sales and I need to save my money for London and Paris!  Aside from the usual, though, I'd like to see what some stores in the other towns have to offer in the way of clothing and souvenirs. Hmmm.... I guess I have a few days to decide. 

3 comments:

  1. how is swelling in those feet? I love seeing your posts on here!! in other news... i got the stomach virus that has been going around here and lost 8 lbs last week - no fitnesspal on that one friend!! but as my fluids are getting back to normal, so is my weight :/ hope you have an amazing adventure!!! I can't wait to hear what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swelling has gone down. I think I'll be able to jog by Friday! What about you...how are you feeling now? It seemed like right before I left the states everyone was getting sick. Too bad you succumbed to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! good to hear about the feet getting better ;) now, roger has some kind of stomach funk. i'm hoping it makes it's way on out the door.

    ReplyDelete